Looking after Children at Craigmillar Medical Group
To all parents and carers
We want to offer the best care for your children when they are ill or you are worried about their health.
We have done a survey which showed a high attendance of our patients at A&E at the Sick Children’s Hospital for problems that were not accidents or emergencies, which often just required assessment and advice rather than a prescription.
There are a variety of ways to get advice about children’s illnesses:
- Pharmacist Minor Ailment Service: your local pharmacy can issue a wide variety of medications without needing to see a doctor.
- GP: telephone appointments are available every morning and can be booked in advance.
- GP duty doctor: we will always try to deal with enquiries about ill children promptly. Help us by giving the receptionist as much detail as possible. The duty Dr will phone you back.
- Please note: we normally expect children to be brought to the surgery if need to be seen.
- Health visitors: can give advice on symptom management and self care. They can be contacted directly on 0131 536 9620
- Child clinic: every Wednesday morning and appointments can be booked in advance. This is for any child health concerns but especially useful for chronic problems such as eczema or constipation.
- Out of Hours: remember to phone NHS 24 first to get advice about managing any health concerns .You can get telephone advice from a nurse or GP, or if your child needs to be seen an appointment will be arranged at the local treatment centre (usually at Royal Infirmary).
NHS 24 number 111
The BEST way to protect your child’s health is to have all the childhood immunisations against infectious diseases.
Please attend when your child is sent appointments for immunisations.